PETITO & PETITO, LLP
Poughkeepsie Family Lawyers
Family Law Representation in Dutchess County, NY
Matters of family law are inherently personal and unique. They can also be especially delicate and contentious. Hiring a capable family law attorney in Poughkeepsie can help ensure you have the legal support and resources to protect the people most important to you.
Our Poughkeepsie family law lawyers can help you confidently navigate your child custody or visitation issue. We are also prepared to assist you with divorce and allegations of neglect or domestic violence. Our team at Petito & Petito, LLP has nearly 60 years of legal experience and successfully represented thousands of satisfied clients. We are skilled litigators who have tried cases before many of the area’s judges. No matter the complexity of your situation, we are determined to provide compassionate representation and do everything possible to protect you and your family’s interests. When you need help with family law in Poughkeepsie, NY, our team is ready to take your issue all the way to court if necessary.
If you are struggling to resolve a conflict involving custody, visitation, or neglect, do not hesitate to call (845) 400-9602 or contact us online.
Empathetic and Attentive Services
When you hire our team at Petito & Petito, LLP, we will take the time to listen to your story, answer your questions, and ease your stress. Once we understand your goals, we will fight to help you achieve them. Our approach is always a team effort, and we will ensure you are happy with how we are handling your case. You will receive our personal phone numbers and email addresses so that you have direct access to our legal professionals throughout our handling of your case.
Child Custody and Visitation
We vigorously represent mothers, fathers, and grandparents in child custody and visitation disputes. In making custodial decisions, Poughkeepsie family court will generally consider what is in the best interest of the child or children.
In New York, the judge will consider several pertinent factors when determining the best interests of a child:
- Stability for the child. Where does the child currently live, and how long have they lived there? What school does the child attend? What disruptions would the child experience if the child were forced to move or change schools?
- The child’s primary caretaker. Who has cared for the child since birth? What part has each parent played in the raising of and caring for the child? Has either parent been absent for any extended period of time?
- The physical and mental health of the child’s parents. What (if any) physical or mental health issues affect each parent? How do these conditions impact their ability to raise and care for the child? Does either parent regularly engage with a mental health professional, and if so, why? What medications are each parent utilizing and why?
- Any history of drug abuse. Does either parent have a history of using illegal drugs? Is either parent addicted to prescribed medication? Do they have any recent drug-related arrests or convictions? Has either parent ever received rehabilitative treatment, and if so, for how long?
- Any history of domestic violence. Is either parent a victim or perpetrator of domestic violence? Has the child been physically or mentally abused by either parent?
- The child’s preferences (in some cases).If the child is of sufficient age and mental capacity, do they have a strong opinion on which parent should have custody?
Absent disqualifying circumstances, both parents have a right to consistent visitation with their children. Whether you are looking to restore visitation rights or limit another parent’s contact to protect your child’s safety, our Poughkeepsie family law attorneys are ready to fight for you.
If you or your spouse are considering a divorce, you will need to decide matters of child custody, visitation, and property division. You can file for an uncontested divorce if there are no disagreements, but if conflicts emerge, you will need to retain legal representation. In a contested divorce, the court will decide how disputes are resolved after reviewing evidence and hearing arguments.
You are not alone: We are here for you in this difficult time. We are not the type of Poughkeepsie divorce attorney that tries to pile hours onto your case. Our legal professionals can fervently advocate for you throughout each stage of your uncontested divorce. We can also assist you with prenuptial agreements, legal separation agreements, and other cases involving matrimonial law.
Our firm regularly assists parents and individuals charged with neglect actions. We know your rights and understand how to effectively deal with the Department of Social Services. Our Poughkeepsie family lawyers can represent you if you have been accused of sexual abuse, physical abuse, drug abuse, failure to plan for your child, or any other criminal charge. We recognize the stigma associated with these types of accusations and understand your reputation, rights, and freedom are at stake. Our litigators will stand with you and work to build the strongest possible defense.
Put our decades of experience to work for you. Contact us online or call (845) 400-9602 today.
We take our clients' experience seriously, and it shows. Read client testimonials below.
He has always given me the right advice. I couldn’t ask for a better attorney.- Esther
He got me my settlement within 8 months and made sure I was compensated for my injuries.- Jason
Joe was very knowledgeable, responsive to our questions, and was able to achieve the best outcome.- Former Client
Without a doubt, his work helped define what was truly in my child’s best interest.- Barry